About Tax Rates

Tax reclaim

You may believe that you have paid more tax than you need. For example, this may happen if:

  • you did not have a National Insurance number, or did not tell the number to your employer
  • If you are a full-time student working only during the holiday periods (summer, Christmas and Easter) and you expect to earn less than the personal allowance bollinger finance during the whole of the next tax year (until April 5 next year) and you intend to continue studying until after April 5 next year, you may be able to receive your wages without tax being deducted. You will need to complete a student exemption form P38(S)
  • your total taxable income in a tax year is less than your personal allowance
  • you left your job before the end of the tax year and stopped working in the UK after this

Pay-as-you-earn (PAYE)

You normally have to pay tax each time you are paid by your employer. This system is known as pay-as-you-earn (or PAYE). You may be sent a PAYE Coding Notice which shows your tax code, which is is used by your employer's pay system to calculate how much tax you pay (it will show your personal allowance, which is the amount you can earn during a tax year without paying any tax, and it may show the value of some benefits from your employer on which tax is payable).

At the end of the tax year (some time after 5 April), you should receive a P60 (End of Year Certificate) from your employer. This shows how much you have earned during the year and how much tax you have paid on these earnings.

Soon after you have left you should be sent a form P45 by your employer. You will need to keep this and give it to your next employer if you start another job.